Wednesday 21 January 2015

Title? Let's call it the Mother ship.

I’m sitting, with Dido and her ‘White Flag’ melody just audible over the speakers. The heaters aren’t working, but the cooler temperature is refreshing against my face. We’ve temporarily run out of words, and we sit, soaking up the relative silence. The tyres blaze through the pools of melted snow and as I sit gazing beyond the dark windscreen, the glare of random headlights fails to smack me back into professional mode. I’ve got a headache and, now I think about it, my throat is sore. I’m dehydrated. I sneak two pain killers into my mouth and feel guilty for the selfish acknowledgement of my own pain.

In the front, the windscreen wipers flash once in a while, and I vaguely wonder if I should say something. But it’s all been said, for now. I think we’re comfortable with our silence, and the milling over of our missions ahead. ‘There will be no white flag above my door. I will go down with this ship’. There isn’t any need for blue lighting, apparently. But I know every beat of her being craves to catch up with the blue lights that went before us. For this undocumented blissful half hour I am a mother holding another mother. No words. We’re  just sitting, with patience, faith and an unspoken understanding.





No comments:

Post a Comment