Sunday 6 March 2016

Penny for your thoughts....

I was just considering updating where I'm at with my midwifery and travelling. I'd hoped to get a more personal reflection of my findings and usefulness after the Dunkirk trip, but I've been thrown into preparations for another pending trip to Nepal. Hopefully, I'll spend some time with colleagues over the next two weeks, and we'll share experiences, challenges, high and low points of our midwifery volunteering in France, and where this might lead us.


Other events demanding my attention are International Women's Day on march 8th, International Day of the Midwife on May 5th and, as mentioned, a trip to Kirtipur, Kathmandu on 2nd April to support the opening of a Normal Birth Unit. Busy!


I'm writing right now because I'm intrigued to find out who is doing all the sharing of my blog. It's had over 2000 hits, from France alone, in the last few days. Who are you, and what are your thoughts? Midwives, legal, political, humanitarian always, as well as polite. I'd love for you to share in the comments, below. You might just have to add your name as 'anonymous' in order to post, but feel free to include your name when you comment. Thank you.

7 comments:

  1. I've just been made aware of a woman in Calais Jungle who is due to give birth this week (Mid April). it's her first baby, and as far as we know, she has had no antenatal care. Are there any French midwives, or doulas who are in a position to 'befriend' this woman? To give her some emotional and practical support, and maybe support during her birth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Trudy
    I'm Inspired by your work...
    It's Fanny, previous Isis midwife :)

    I'm in Paris... With my little boy so I wonder how I could help.I .would love to . Would it be worth travelling there for a day or two to try and meet her?
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, hello Fanny. How lovely to hear from you. Thanks so much for getting in touch. Are you and your young family well? Are you currently practising in France? You know, it might be worth the time to get to see her when she's with the medic there, and a UK midwife. there will be a Farsi speaking translator, too. Presumably you have knowledge of the French maternity system? She's be given a note pad to write all the necessary information in. This is all going to happen Friday/sat/sun of this coming week. can I find you on FB? and PM you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Trudy!
    Oh no I am just seeing this now....
    Yes pm me if not too late, and although I'm working tomorrow.
    I didn't think of coming back here to see a reply X yes I found a bank contract only here and started recently in the hospital so I'm getting to know the system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But you're registered, and that's more than we midwives are in UK. baby still not arrived, and all screening and ultrasound normal. So, it's just a matter of using the time we have until baby's arrival, for preparation. the couple are at least trusting of the care being offered. They have a very traumatic story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This baby has been born, a fit and healthy little boy. The volunteers were able to support Mum through the task of scanning and screening etc. baby was born on his 'due date'. I'm being made aware of more pregnant and breastfeeding mums. It would be great for any French midwives to come forward and offer services when they can. UK midwives cannot legally do their stuff in France, they can only advise. Do any of you know of a network already set up for refugee support? Fancy setting one up?? Please share any info you have. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete