Thursday 31 October 2019

Introducing Prasansa Budha, a student in first cohort of Nepal's midwifery students.



Meet Prasansa Budha. Who, over two years ago, came across as a very determined and focussed first year student in NAMS, Kathmandu. She agreed to share her experience here, as one of the very first midwifery students in Nepal. It's been one huge journey. Not just for Prasansa and her fellow students, but for the teachers, the 'teach the teachers' (GIZ/UNFPA workers Kirsten, Maya, Margaret, Maxine to name a few), and the teams in the hospitals where these amazing students have had to push and shove their way in, to be accepted as part of the brand new multi-professional force bringing change to the maternal and neonatal well-being in Nepal.The hard graft has been all theirs.


What was your most joyful moment, looking back over your three years in midwifery training?

 I have many joyful moments if I look back to this programme.
Ready for the leap of faith.
Prasansa's cohort, with all their teachers.
Most joyful moment was when I delivered DizygoticTwins of average  weight i.e 2800gm and 2400gm normally. That was my 1st experience of taking twins delivery. Moreover, this woman was very happy with my care and counseling. During discharge she appreciated my caring attitude and wished to take delivery from me in future as well. This made me really happy and proud.

 
Can you share a few of the challenges you've had to face?

 Firstly, We were promised for scholarship but we had to pay even for our accommodation and fooding during our clinical practicum out of valley.Many times I had to run out of my budget.
Secondly, during our clinical posting in Year one we couldn’t practice midwifery model of care as doctors and nurses were not ready to accept our practice.
 
 

 

.
 
If you could make just one change to the course, what would it be?

 
In the context of Nepal, I would include obstetric ultrasonography course and it’s practicum because midwife should be able to diagnose abnormality especially in rural areas and refer timely.
 
 
What do you plan to do with your midwifery degree, once you are qualified?

I want to establish my own birthing centre and organize training programme for woman in rural Nepal regarding safe delivery.


with love
Prasansa


Experimenting with the TENS machine last year.

A very simple set of questions. I knew them, and Prasansa, and still found the answers thought provoking. How must it feel to be the first ever home grown midwife in Nepal? The students have a great command of the English language, because they have to learn in English. (That's half of us given up already, eh?). To know Prasansa has ploughed through the challenges, and plans to set up a birth centre in her own rural community is humbling. Wishing you well, my dear, and so much love. You'll stay in touch?

You can leave a message of good wishes for Prasansa below.




No comments:

Post a Comment